Ever wondered how many times a minute a baby blinks? Or why babies have more bones than adults? Or how big your brain is without all those wrinkles? Or how long your intestines would be if you stretched them out?
Well, now you can find all of these things out from the comfort of your own home, while keeping all of your internal organs safely internal.
Check out these human body facts, and impress all your friends with how much you know!
1. The cornea is the only part of the body with no blood supply – it gets its oxygen directly from the air.
2. The human body contains enough fat to make seven bars of soap.
3. Embryos develop fingerprints three months after conception.
4. Between birth and death, the human body goes from having 300 bones, to just 206.
5. Hearts can beat outside of their bodies.
6. When you blush, the inside of your stomach does too.
7. Humans have a “diving reflex” that shuts down bodily functions when submerged in water to prevent drowning.
8. There are certain kinds of tumors that can grow their own teeth and hair – they’re called teratomas.
9. Humans are bioluminescent, the light just isn’t perceptible to the human eye.
10. Astronauts can grow up to two inches taller in space.
11. Your brain can survive for five to 10 minutes without oxygen.
12. In cases of extreme starvation, the brain will begin to eat itself.
13. When listening to music, your heartbeat will sync with the rhythm.
14. The small intestine is roughly 23 feet long.
15. One quarter of your bones are in your feet.
16. Every organ you have two of, you only need one of to survive.
17. There are more than 100,000 miles of blood vessels in your body.
18. You are taller in the morning than you are at night.
19. You can’t breathe and swallow at the same time.
20. Your left kidney is higher up than your right kidney.
21. Your ears and your nose never stop growing.
22. “Pregnancy brain” is totally real – Women’s brains actually shrink during pregnancy.
23. If you smoothed out all of the wrinkles in your brain, it would lay flat the size of a pillowcase.
24. Stomach acid can dissolve metal. If it touched your skin, it would burn right through it.
25. At some point, you may have fought cancer.
27. Tongue prints are as unique as fingerprints.
28. Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour.
29. Babies only blink once or twice a minute, while adults average 10 times a minute.
30. The jaw muscle is the stongest in the human body.
31. While awake, your brain produces enough electricity to light a light bulb.
32. In camera terms, the human eye is about 576 megapixels.
33. You carry, on average, about four pounds of bacteria around in your body.
34. The highest recorded fever ever was 115 degrees Fahrenheit.
36. Men’s testicles hang below their bodies because sperm dies at body temperature.
37. Cornflakes have more genes than people do.
38. You might feel like you got a workout, but sex only burns about 3.6 calories a minute.
39. Humans can’t digest grass. Despite health fanatics claiming wheatgrass aids digestion, humans would actually need several more stomachs to digest it, like cows have.
40. The scientific name for stomach growls is “borborygmus.”